Soy-Spinach Pulav or Soya Palak Pulao
I face this dilemma on daily basis about what to cook for dinner and I know a lot of people go through this! Especially when you don’t have any suggestions from your family but you know that they’re expecting some tasty restaurant style dish to be served. Also, one thing that is really bad is that I never think of anything ahead in time and I am never prepared with soaking grains or any similar stuff to make my cooking easy.
So, yesterday I made this delicious pulav at home with 3 ingredients easily available with me – Soya chunks, Spinach and Basmati Rice. I am sure you’ll love it, give it a try.
Soy-Spinach Pulav / Soya Palak Pulao
3 major ingredients and 15 minutes of prep time! This is a tasty rice recipe, loved by many - even if you don't like soya chunks, am sure you'll love this one!
Servings: 4 persons
- 2 cups Basmati Rice
- 2 cups Spinach
- 2 cups Soya Chunks
- 1 medium-large Onion, chopped
- 5-6 cloves Garlic
- 2 Green Chilies
- 1 inch Ginger
- 1 Tomato, chopped
- 5-6 Curry Leaves
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick
- 2 Green Cardomom
- 1 Dried Red Chili
- 3-4 Cloves
- 2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 3 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tsp Kasuri Methi (Dried Fenugreek)
- 2 tsp Basil
- 1 tsp Black pepper powder
- 2 tsp Pulav Masala or garam masala (optional)
- 2 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Cumin Seeds Powder
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- Salt as per taste
- Boil approx 5 cups water and add salt to it. Dip the soya chunks to it, cover and keep it aside.
- Wash the rice thoroughly and keep it aside, soaked.
- Blend the spinach into a fine paste, you may add 3-4 tbsp of water while blending.
- Heat a pan, splutter the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and add the asafoetida, cloves, curry leaves, cinnamon, cardomom, red chili and stir for about a minute till it is cooked.
- Now, grind the ginger, garlic and green chilies in a paste and add it into the pan. Add onions and saute till the onion turn a little golden.
- Add the soya chunks (remove the excess water) and stir for a couple of minutes. Add tomatoes and let it simmer. Now add the spinach paste and stir. Add the rice, 4-5 cups water and mix everything well.
- Add red chili powder and garam or pulav masala, basil,black pepper powder, salt to taste and lemon juice. Mix well, cover and let it cook on medium flame for about 15-20 minutes. You may give it a stir after 10 minutes to make sure it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- After 20 minutes of so, the rice will be cooked perfectly. Serve hot with cold curd, raita or buttermilk.