One thing a lot of us have in common is that we get our aha moments in the shower… when our minds run at fire speed and even if we are not thinking anything, our brain has like 10 tabs open at a time and is working on it.. for example, some problem we’ve been facing, or someone we have been thinking of connecting to, or some brilliant idea that suddenly pops up to make our lives easy, isn’t it?
The reason why ‘shower power’ exists is that there is a certain magical moment that we all have when we are alone, not disturbed by any external person or force.. that is when the profound thinking happens, the insights are highlighted in our minds. It is, therefore, very important to create a healthy and positive showering space. A space that encourages a positive alignment of thoughts.
What is ‘shower power’ and why does it happen? We don’t enter the bathroom with a task list for brain right? Or with an aim of solving x number of problems in the shower; or to generate x amount of ideas! It doesn’t work like that. Let’s think about all the good reasons:
First thing, it is the place where we wash ourselves, our skin and hair. We remove toxins from our physical body. We have a routine, where we automatically start a series of actions like getting wet in comfortably warm water, scrubbing and using our favourite soap or wash, rinse off and feel amazing. We do this every day, without thinking of it as a task, our brain signals our organs to work on it! How interesting!
… hence our brain doesn’t need to do anything & it can focus on something else since this is an automatic routine.
Safe space! Unless you slip and fall and then have another kind of “moment,” but let’s not think about that one.. While showering, we are by ourselves. Maybe listening to some podcast or soothing music to feel cozy – like the other things we do for comfort, calm, and focus. We do try to recreate a comfort zone by maybe taking a walk or exercise even, to recreate the sense of being someplace “safe,” confined, comforting, routine, and “alone.”
“Everyone who has taken a shower has had an idea. It’s the person who gets out of the shower, dries off and does something about it that makes a difference.”― Nolan Bushnell
Creating a positive surrounding in the space where we shower is of utmost importance. It is where we wash off our dirt, where our mind focuses on stuff we forget to or ignore thinking about. It is where the magic happens! For a perfectionist or someone who really wants to have a productive day; there are some real tips to make it a powerful:
- Keep it close to nature: Add some plants for an aesthetic and healing vibe – you may find some here.
- Add the goodness of Epsom salts and essential oils to your shower experience. My favorite product is Soulflower Himalayan bath salt with lavender oil.
- Play some nice calming sounds that can help you focus on your thoughts. I generally listen to something like this and it helps!
- Mindfulness: Be mindful of the thoughts going in the mind. I have been practicing focus on breathing and thoughts while showering and it works wonder. Meditating while showering is one way to start and end your day in a mindful and most positive way. Keep negativity away. I would suggest you explore the power of shower meditation here.
- Self-esteem: Shower is a great place to work on it. Self-esteem is a direct result of self-confidence which comes from self-realization. What better place for self-realization than meeting our own thoughts? When you speak to yourself, you listen, when you listen you believe and when you repeat this enough, a new neural pathway is created for the newfound belief. Simply chant affirmations like “I love and accept myself for who I am.” or “I am unique and my dreams and aspirations are unique to myself. I do not need to prove myself to anyone.” Check more details on how to improve your self-esteem here.
- Gratitude: Show gratitude for all that you have – the water, the facility to shower, the perfect body, and good health to be able to shower. Shoe gratitude for being able to shower.
So, bring out your best into that corner. Choose what you want for yourself and how you would like to start and end your day. Make the best of your mind’s idle state and get into a healthy habit of feeling the most positive and joyful in the shower! After all, we have already tried all other things in this lockdown right?
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.