Heart-Healthy Quick Noodles
Ever heard of a dish that promises health and exhibits an exciting play of flavour and colour on our plates? We all know that in order to be healthy, we need to eat our colors, and in all forms – leaves, roots, stems and everything plants provide. There is this huge root with pulp that has a sweet taste and it is usually of a dark crimson red colour with purple tinges. (love love love!) Hated by most of us, but it is surely loved when converted into yummy dishes. Yes, Beetroot! The healthiest in the root-family and packed with essential nutrients, beetroots are a great source of fiber, folate (vitamin B9), manganese, potassium, iron, and vitamin C. Beetroot & its juice have been associated with numerous health benefits, including improved blood flow, lower blood pressure, and increased exercise performance.
Due to its immense nutritional value, beetroot is identified as a superfood. Did you know, that a 100 gm of beetroot contains only about 45 calories! It has anti-ageing properties and assists in maintaining glowing skin and lustrous hair. It is also believed to inhibit cancer cell mutation, prevent DNA damage, boost metabolism and strengthen the digestive system. You will be delighted to know how versatile Beetroot can be when you cook your favorite dishes with beetroot.
My mom used to boil beetroot while making dal-rice and that is how I used to think that beetroot can be eaten. Then I started having raw beetroot in different salads, kurma, raita etc. Only after going vegan, I realised that beetroot is one of the staples to be stocked in the pantry and is so versatile. From pancakes, cakes, salads, stir-fries, pizzas to my favourite pastas – I use beetroot generously. I love the reaction of my friends when they wonder about the color of my dish and then taste and find it yummy! Yesterday, when I was too lazy to cook, I made this quick noodles in less than 15 minutes! Let’s see quick way to fix your din-din!
Heart-Healthy Quick Noodles
- 300 gm Noodles of your choice (I used whole wheat flat noodles)
- 3 large Tomatoes, chopped
- 3 medium Beetroot, chopped
- 2 medium Onions, chopped
- 6-7 medium-sized Garlic Cloves
- 2 Dry Red Chilies
- 2 tsp Black pepper powder
- 1 tbsp Chili Flakes
- 2 tbsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Basil powder
- 1 tsp Sugar (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Boil about 1.5 litres of water in a pan and add the noodles, salt and 1 tsp oil. Cook on medium flame without covering for about 3-4 minutes (al-dente).
- While the noodles cook; blend beetroot, tomato, garlic and dry red chilies. Add a tbsp of water if required.
- Heat a wok or a pan and add about 2 tbsp of oil. Once oil is heated, on medium flame, saute the onions. Now, add the blended beetroot mixture to the onions. This should be done in about same time when you switch off the flame of noodles. Let this sauce cook.
- Strain the noodles and pour them into the pan of sauce while the flame is on. Add the herbs and seasoning and salt and pepper. Take off the heat and serve hot.